Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A few minutes with Tenaya Jane

A couple of months back I reviewed the haunting tale "BLUE ASPEN" by Tenaya Jane.  I had the honor of interviewing her while she is out on tour for her new book, "FORBIDDEN FOREST".  What a delight she is! Thank you, Tenaya, for taking the time!

1.       What is a typical day in your writing life like?

I wish I knew! LOL. I have a three year old and a ten year old with Autism. I just leave my computer on and write when I can. I've been trying to get up earlier, trying and failing.

2. BLUE ASPEN was a haunting tale.  Where did the inspiration come from?

  When I was a little girl, my grandma would tell me bedtime stories. She had one about the Sandman in her repertoire. It was short and sweet but it stuck with me. From then on, anything about the Sandman caught my attention. I wanted to create a dark character who could construct dreams but who might also give you a nightmare from time to time. I began writing Blue Aspen when I was 15. At that time, it was just about Dulcee and Vincent. I created Vincent to be what I wanted at that age. I always go for the dark horse. J       

3.Who would you cast in the movie version of FORBIDDEN FOREST?

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have no idea. It's not that I haven't thought about it. I scoured IMDB to try to answer this question and I just can't find a single cast member. Sorry. L

4. If you could borrow a character from another author, who would it be and what would the story involve?

Wow! I've never been asked that before. I'd love to borrow Jean-Baptiste Grenouille from Patrick Suskind. I'd put him in a room full of various other villains, but he'd be the one who terrified them all.   

5. What authors inspire you?

Ayn Rand, Angela Carter, Tanith Lee, Meredith Ann Pierce, Graham Greene, Oscar Wilde, Victor Hugo, and Patrick Suskind to name a few. I'm always inspired by originality and authors who take risks.

6. Is there a genre that you haven't wrote in yet, but are hoping to?

I'm hoping to begin writing my first horror when I finish with Forest Fire. I'm going to have to be careful to not scare myself. 

7. Where did you get the inspiration for your gorgeous covers?

The first time I saw the picture of the girl behind the broken glass I knew it was the one for BLUE ASPEN. Originally, BLUE ASPEN was with a different publisher and their cover artist designed a beautiful image but I never felt it really translated well. My two other covers are the talent of Char Adlesperger of Wicked Cover Designs. She is currently working on the cover for FOREST FIRE.

8.  What do you have coming up next?

Next will be the sequel to FORBIDDEN FOREST. After that I have a non-fiction I've been working on for a while I'd like to finish, a few more novellas, and my first horror.

---------

Author Bio:

Hello. My name’s Tenaya and I’m an addict. I mean author. When I was growing up, writing was just something I played at from time to time. I knew I wanted to be a writer, but I was one of those people who could never finish anything. When my eldest son was diagnosed with Autism, I began to write seriously. Writing became a necessity for me in the midst of my heartbreak. It was either that or take up drinking. I ‘m thankful I chose writing as my escape because I discovered it truly is my thing. I want to be swept away when I read. That’s what I want my books to do for you. The main goal of my writing is to entertain you. I want to help you escape everyday life for a little while. I hope you enjoy my stories as much as I enjoy sharing them with you!
I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful sons. I’m an advocate for Autism awareness, and women trapped in abusive relationships. I try to always look on the bright side and help others do so too. I’ve lived many places but I currently reside in Missouri. I love reading, indie and foreign films, gardening, and moody music.
  
Connect with Tenaya!

http://tenayajayne.com 
 
Amazon
 Born in shame. Cast from society. Shape Shifter/Elf hybrid, Forest must fight for any respect she can get. Targeted in her youth by a vampire noble who placed an illegal slave mark on her, she is forced to obey him, no matter what.

Slipping the grip of her master and abandoning the prejudice of Regia, her native world, Forest takes a job on Earth, guarding the portal, using her skills as a warrior to enforce Regia's laws. Now, called home for a black ops mission, Forest must put aside her own prejudice to transport the vampire prince, Syrus, through enemy territory in a time of war.

Prince Syrus, mage and master of the Blood Kata, wants Forest more than he's ever wanted anything. In spite of their mutual mistrust, their attraction cannot be denied. Through the danger of their mission, and the secrets they both keep, it doesn't matter what they feel. Forest is forbidden.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Michelle, for having me today! The pleasure was all mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being in the tour Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i still lvoe the book cover and hope you do good on the book and many more to come

    ReplyDelete