Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Interview with author Sara Palacios

Most people know Sara Palacios as part of the fabulously awesome team at Chick Lit Plus, but she is also a debut author with her wonderful, LOVE IN TRANSLATION, currently out.  (Stay tuned as my review will be posted in a few minutes as well.) Sara graciously took a few minutes out of her busy day (a little guy in her life means she is one busy mommy) to do a quick interview. I hope you enjoy her as much as I do.   Welcome to Michelle's Book Nook, Sara!

Have you always wanted to write?
To be honest, I haven’t always wanted to write. The itch came early on in college and I haven’t been able to contain it since.

What inspired you to write LOVE IN TRANSLATION?
 
I think a little bit of inspiration came from my relationship with my husband. He grew up speaking Spanish and learned English as a second language—although you wouldn’t know it today. I was trying to think of something unique in terms of a love story and then one day a light bulb went off and I thought, “wouldn’t it be really interesting to throw two people into a love story but have a language barrier?” And as the saying goes, the rest is history. J

Who do you most identify with out of all of your characters?
I think there is a little of me in all of them but it really is a very small portion. I actually based a bigger portion of the characters personality quirks after a few friends of mine. But, let’s keep that between us, okay? ;)
What is a typical writing day like for you?
 This is something that I have been struggling with as of late, to be honest. Before my son was born, I was diligent about my writing routine and would right every night before bed and sometimes early in the morning, but that is no longer the case. Now, I write whenever I can. I am in the process of trying to get into a routine but that is definitely easier said than done.

How did you celebrate your publication day?
I went out to dinner with my husband and son. And I smiled. A lot!

Did you cast your characters in your mind or do you use vision boards/Pinterest/pictures to bring them to life?
 I usually cast them in my mind but for Andres, I had a mental image of a combination of a few men. Poor me, right? But, for the new book, I am using Pinterest and movies and songs. For me, music is really, really critical in setting the mood for a scene which is funny, because I am not really a music kind of gal. But, it works for me for right now, so I am going to run with it.

Just for the fun of it:

Dream vacation? New Zealand. Hands down. I would love to see where Lord of the Rings was filmed and I would also love to go skiing there!
Celebrity Crush? Taylor Kitsch. Texas forever, baby!
Guilty Pleasure song? Right now I am a huge fan of Give It All We Got Tonight by George Strait. My new book takes place in the country and I am really digging country music these days.
What is at the top of your bucket list? I don’t really have a bucket list. To be honest, I just want to live each day to its fullest and be the happiest me that I can be. Is that lame? It sounds lame but it’s the truth.

Sara Palacios
Author of LOVE IN TRANSLATION
Bio: Sara Palacios is a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin with a major in Advertising and a minor in English Literature. It was during her time in college that she really fell in love with the written word and ventured into writing her own stories. In addition to writing, Sara spends a majority of her time reading the works of other authors. She reads most genres – but thoroughly enjoys chick-lit, women’s and historical fiction.
When she isn’t busy reading or writing, Sara enjoys spending time with family and friends. She is happily married, the owner of two precious doggies and a new mom to a handsome baby boy. Sara is also an avid animal-lover, runner, yoga enthusiast, wannabe vegan, USA soccer fan, foodie and fashion blog-lover and Christian. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to email her at sararpalacios@gmail.com.

1 comment: